During heavy rainfalls and melting snow spells water accumulates in soil and may penetrate residential basements and underground rooms. Clogged roof gutters and blocked downspouts will let rainwater concentrate and soak into soil next to the foundation wall – this too will result in basement flooding.
Need a plumber to keep your basement from flooding this winter? Submit the form to your right and receive multiple plumbing quotes.
Basement Flooding Prevention
Statistic reveal that about 95% of all basements will experience a problem with water penetration during periods of heavy rainfalls or snow. Learn how to avoid a wet basement emergency and save on expensive repair of a damaged foundation and ruined belongings.
- Make sure gutters and downspouts are obstacle free.
- Check that downspout extension pipe-fittings are properly hooked up in the right direction to point water away from foundation.
- Trim shrubs and plants near foundation wall so that more soil is exposed to sunlight and is able to dry up quickly should it become wet.
- Insulate basement walls – seal cracks and gaps.
- Plumbers highly recommend sump pumps as effective protectors against flooding basement emergencies. Install sump pumps that discharge groundwater seeping into basements. Provide a backup pump should main device fail in real time.
This winter protect your basement against destructive water penetration. Plumbers issue the following warning signs of faulty foundation walls that may introduce water into rooms on or below ground level:
- Stale odor
- Moist patches that swell with every rain fall
- Mold or white chalk on basement walls
Take the right precautions and avoid wet basement emergencies that cost money and great hardships.
Need help checking whether your basement walls can withstand water penetration? Submit the form on your right and get quotes for preventive plumbing services.