Burst pipes are classed as water related plumbing emergencies. Split water pipes require fast and effective repair to stop gallons of water from causing structural and electrical damage in homes and offices. Although plumbers ought to fix pipe leaks, property owners can avail of the following steps to control burst pipes and stop water escape before further damage can occur.
Burst Pipe? First take the following steps to stop water leaking out. Next, submit the form on your right to receive multiple plumbing estimates on burst pipe repair by local plumbers.
Temporal Burst Water Pipe Repair
1. Switch off water supply to the leaky pipe and fitting. If you don't know its location simply switch water supply to the entire home.
2. Turn on cold taps to drain the system.
3. Turn off water heating systems.
4. Turn on hot water taps to drain the system.
5. A leaking pipe in close proximity to electrical appliances is dangerous. Switch off the mains immediately.
6. If possible, try looking for the hole from which water is escaping. Seal the hole with gapless tape. Apply pressure with a piece of rubber secured to the gapless tape.
7. To stave off further damage to your property it is best to call the plumber to fix the pipe leak promptly. Submit the adjacent form and receive multiple plumbing estimates by local plumbers in your area.
Preventing Burst Pipes Emergencies
Damage caused by leaking water pipes can be extremely expensive and may involve digging up your tarmac,lawn, or paving. Save yourself costly leaking pipe repairs by caring for your plumbing pipes year round. During winter temperatures can drop below zero and freeze water in pipes. As water changes to ice, it expands by as much as 10%. The resulting pressure can bust the pipe or force open couplings. Avoid freezing and burst pipes this winter with the following plumbing tips:
Insulate all your water supply pipes.
Introduce heat in on cold days by opening the loft trap door.
Before leaving your home for your winter holiday make sure to drain out water from the plumbing pipes. Close water supply to the house.
Fix leaking faucets in and around the home to prevent them from freezing and blocking pipes.
Find out the location of your main water shutoff valve and label it. Make sure you know how to turn off water supply to your home in case of a burst pipe or other water related plumbing emergencies - (See Water Meter page for locating the shutoff valve).
Complete and submit the following form and get multiple plumbing quotes by local plumbers.
Note that the low winter temperatures in the following locations may cause pipes to freeze or burst:
- Livonia, MI
- Erie, PA
- Palmdale, CA
- Cincinnati, OH
- Madison, WI
- Akron, OH
- Toledo, OH
- Detroit, MI
- Albany, NY
- Dearborn, MI
- Pittsburgh, PA
- Lansing, MI
- Syracuse, NY
- Buffalo, NY
- Flint, MI
- Indianapolis, IN
- Davenport, IA
- Dayton, OH
- Clinton, MI
- Lexington, KY
- Elgin, IL